UNHCR - Senior Finance Assistant (AP/AR)
The Senior Finance Assistant is part of the AP/AR Unit in the Accounts Section of the newly restructured Accounts and Financial Service (formerly Financial Control Section). He/she provides technical support with the processing of financial transactions, and monitors compliance with applicable financial regulations and rules.
– Transactions are accurately and completely processed.
– Users at HQ and in the field are provided with technical support, as appropriate.
– Carry out assigned regular transactions and processes basic to the work of the unit.
– Monitor compliance by users at HQ and in the field with relevant financial rules and procedures.
– Assist with the month-end and year-end closure of accounts and audit issues.
– Provide technical support to users at HQ and in the field, and participate in field missions as requested.
– Identify possibilities for improving processes and field support.
– Act as back-up to other staff members in the Unit.
– Perform other duties as required.
– Recommend ways to improve cooperation between the Unit and users at HQ and in the field.
– Propose instructions for the month-end and year-end closure of accounts.
– Propose responses to audit queries.
– Obtain from HQ and field offices any information necessary to carry out his/her responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
– 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field.
– Previous job experience in the field of accounting or finance.
– Working experience with ERP financial modules, such as PeopleSoft, Oracle or SAP.
– Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
– Excellent communication skills.
– Fluency in English, including strong drafting skills.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
– Good knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
– Good understanding of accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS).
– Working knowledge of French.
– Annual leave: UNHCR staff members holding a fixed-term appointment will accrue annual leave at the rate of 2.5 working days for each full calendar months of service (i.e. 30 working days per year). – Pension system: Staff members holding a fixed-term appointment will become participants in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF).
– Health insurance plan: locally recruited staff members in Budapest will be enrolled in the Medical Insurance Plan (MIP). The coverage is also optionally available for eligible family members.